If you enjoy travelling, it is the time for you to know that you can become responsible traveler. There is no doubt that tourism is one of the biggest and promising industries in the world. The economic growth has increased significantly due to the rise in tourism demand. However, it effects not only positively but negatively. People as well as destinations can be a victim of irresponsible traveler who doesn’t care about how to behave and respect their surroundings when travelling. It is often that some monument is deviled, sacred places are disrespected, and many more detrimental effects due to irresponsible tourist.
What to do to become responsible traveler
Aside from having fun and enjoying your time travelling different places, it is also important to learn how to be more responsible while travelling. It can also help to build positive traits of yours. Here are some tips and simple ways to be more responsible while travelling:
- Research your destination before going. It is important that you learn the culture of your destination so you will be prepared and informed of what to do and what shouldn’t do. There are also countries that hold protest over tourism. They protest due to overload tourists visiting their place resulting in damaged facilities and uncomfortable environment for the locals. Thus, make sure that you choose the place that you will feel comfortable. If you don’t seem to agree with certain rule set by the local, then you’d better choose another destination.
- It is recommended that you have thorough plan for your travel. This is a simple way to become responsible traveler. By managing the plan, you will know what to do in order not to damage the ecosystem of your destination. If you lack of information, get it from visitor center so you will be thoroughly informed.
- In order to be more responsible and sensible traveler, you have to appreciate and support the locals. You can do it by buying their products and services. This simple thing can help their economic growth. Instead of looking for international branded goods, it is much better to buy local handicrafts or handmade-products.
- Always remind yourself to keep the Earth breath. Taking care of ecosystem is not only a responsibility of one person or two but also yours. It is suggested that you practice eco-friendly travelling. The practices are simple such as switching off the light when you leave the room, taking public transport, using reusable bag or water bottle, etc.
- Make sure not to leave any trace to the place you visit. There are many ways you can leave traces which are bad to do such as craving name into monument, throwing rubbish randomly, or damaging public facilities.
Be respectful to the locals as well as living creature such as animals. Interacting with the locals is fun but make sure you don’t make offensive comment. It is also recommended that you follow the rule before interacting with wildlife. Being responsible traveler is not really hard to do.