There are many aspects to earn from travelling. Social, culture, and even religion are attached to each other. Thus, travelling is not simply about having fun. Learning more about the place you visit can give you many benefits. You will be more knowledgeable, you will have new point of view, you will be more open-minded, etc. Aside from excitement, there is also something positive to gain. This is why travelling to Borobudur is a great choice. Borobudur is Buddhist monument located in Yogyakarta Indonesia. It was built in 8th Century. It was then long forgotten and to be rediscovered in the 19th Century. For your information, this is one of the biggest Buddhist pilgrimage sites.
Things to know before visiting Borobudur?
There are many intriguing things when it comes to Borobudur. It holds many qualities from various aspects. Name it culture, architecture, structure, Borobudur has it all. Here is brief description about Borobudur which can make you desire to visit:
- Borobudur is Buddhist monument and one of the largest in the world. It has Mandala shape which form series of platforms. There are five square platforms below and four circular platforms above. There is a pathway to lead pilgrims through three levels of Buddhist cosmology. There are approximately 2,672 relief panels. Each panel has its own story about Buddha’s life.
- Borobudur consists of different levels. The lowest one is called Kamadhatu or the world of desire consisted of 160 reliefs. The next level is Rupadhatu or the world of forms. Then, there is Arupadhatu or the world of formlessness. Then there is a central stupa crown Borobudur at the very top. However, this level is not for visitors.
- While enjoying the structure and architecture of Borobudur, you will notice that there are different statues. They are Bhumi Sparsa Mudra which represents seal of touching the Earth, Vara Mudra which represents charity, Dhyana Mudra which represents meditation, Abhaya Mudra which represents reassurance and the elimination of fear, and Vitarka Mudra which represents preaching.
- The special event is held during Waisak where hundreds of Buddhist monks from different regions gather to make a procession which started at 2am. The procession is started from Candi Mendut to Borobudur which is 1.5 miles away. The procession consists of praying and chanting in slow mode. The monks usually reach Borobudur at 4am and proceed to the next procession which is circling the temple.
- The access to Borobudur is easy since it is only 40 minutes away from the nearest airport, Yogyakarta. You can get to Borobudur by bus or mini bus. There are various transportations to help you get to Borobudur and the cost is quite affordable.
- The entrance fee to Borobudur is also affordable. Itcost only about $20. You can purchase the ticket on the ticket office directly which opens from 6am to 5pm. Aside from visiting Borobudur, you can also visit the neighbor temple, Prambanan. You can buy combined ticket which cost you about $28.80 so you can visit both temples.