Travelling is not all about visiting various tourist attraction or local foods. There are more interesting to do while travelling and one of them is to blend in with the locals. You need to know that the locals can be just as interested in visitors as visitors are in the locals. Thus, the ideal of blending in with them is great. It will give you many benefits such as making new friends, understanding more about the culture, opening your mind about new things. And giving you more intimate look of how the locals live. Besides, it may also keep you safe during your stay because when you blend in then the risk of being a target of crimes will be lessen.
How to perfectly blend in with the locals
No matter where you go, you have chance and ability to fit in. Blending in with the locals will earn you many benefits you may not realize you need them. As mentioned earlier, the benefits include comfort, safety and more life lessons to earn. Here are some tips you can try to blend in with the locals during your travel. You might as well try them for your next travel plan:
- Wear simple clothes with muted colors will help you blending in perfectly. You can simple wear your plain T-shirt and a cap. However, you may also feel uncomfortable to wear trashy clothes. Therefore, you can do a little research about how the locals dress. It can be searched online so it won’t take long time. Thus, you can pack clothes which are quite similar vibe with the way the locals dress.
- It is recommended to tone down your habit of capturing every single thing you see when travelling. Taking photos are of course necessary when travelling but if you want to blend in then you need to at least tone it down a bit. Keep yourself low profile and appreciate more your surrounding in slow pace.
- It is safer to bring adequate amount of money. For example, you only bring money you need for a day. When you keep fumbling with money when making transaction, it will not only make you strongly look as a tourist but it higher the risk of being target for thieves.
- Go to local store when you need to buy stuffs. You will learn many things when visiting local store. you can also buy food from a food cart. It is a good way to start interacting with the locals. You can start with the seller.
- Don’t be afraid to encounter with the locals. It is even better when you can something in their language even for saying a simple hello. You can pay attention on how they act or dress then you can follow suit. Be confident and considerate at the same time when interacting with the locals to get to know more about their cultures. If there is local event, you can check it out and learn more about them in fun way.